Sunday, February 22, 2009

Hodgepodge of Events in the West

(the dock at Horseshoe Bay)

Hello everyone. I'll try to catch up on the news here. I am sorry for the lack of pictures, I've really died down on taking photos recently. I don't like spending too much time worrying and fiddling with a camera and missing out on just having a good time, so just use your imaginations. I've just come back from my 9-day billet period. I would have loved for it to be much longer. I was living with a wonderful family in East Vancouver; Andy, Jen, and their 7-year-old son Sam. We had a week with beautiful weather and made good use of it. We went for a hike in Lighthouse Park in West Vancouver. It was a very joyful day. We stopped for a bite to eat on an outcrop of rocks overlooking the water. We saw a bald eagle in a tree closeby. It called to another eagle on the other side of the rock clearing. Soon 2 more eagles swooped overhead and perched around us. As time went on we must have had about 5 or 6 eagles conversing overhead.



(Moi, Karl et Charles)






(The idiots... and the professional Munju Makers
at the Buddhist Temple on Jackson Av.)


That day was like a little tidbit of what more can be seen outside the city in this beautiful province. I got to skate for the first time this year and hit the puck around a little bit with Sam and Andy. Well now it's back to Katimalife, which feels alot better, it's busy but good. I supose I should fill in on a couple things from before. We went to a performance at the Roundhouse Theatre which was part of the aboriginal festival, The Talking Stick. I wasn't really sure what we were going to see, as things just kind-of happen here. It turns out it was Andrea Menard's Velvet Devil Show. I remember listening to a CD of all the music at home. Here I was watching memories of Paisley in downtown Vancouver.
We also ended up getting to a poetry slam at Cafe Deux Soliel. The place was packed once again. It was awsome to see something so rooted and thriving. The talent was amazing and energizing. I don't know if I told you before about making Munju (a Japanese pastry) at the Buddhist Temple we went to. The process is very meticulous. You measure out a 30 gram ball of sugary sweetened beanpaste. These are rolled expertly in the dough. The whole pastry is then steamed for 15 minutes (exactly). At this point you fan the hot doughy balls until you can place them neetly on a rack were they are sent to the man with a brand, and he burns the emblem of a lily onto each individual munju.
This weekend we had our 48 hours of freetime. This was a wonderful break from group life. A few of us went to see FUSE, an interactive art exhibit at the Vancouver Art Gallery. All-round a very interesting time. There was one room in which some instruments were laying. They were all functional and so I began playing bass. Another man entered and started jamming on drums. People were peering into the window of this small room. The room was relatively sound proof and so little sound exited. What I found out later was that microphones were recording and pumping the music down to the lobby entrance of the Gallery. Everything that was said and played in that room could be heard. I went skiing on Grouse Mountain with a girl, Cecile, from another Katimavik group. The weather and snow was perfect and the view was spectacular. Sorry, no pictures again. I got to visit Julia and Hugo that night and the next morning. It was alot of fun to catch up and talk all about our James Bay experiences. The whole Katimacrew will be heading to the UBC Farm this weekend to get a little tour and a taste of the things going on there.
Today we went on a little bus tour with some people from a seniors activity center in West Vancouver. We went to Horseshoe Bay and back. This was alot of fun and very rewarding for both us and our older buddies. There are hopes that the center may become a new Katimavik work partner. Anyhow, there is always much to talk about but I should really catch-up on some sleep. I love hearing from you all. I shall see many of you soon as our arrival date in Ontario is fast approaching.












(Katimacrew Burnaby)



No comments: